My Mirch family is one interesting bunch. I have quite a few of them with intolerances, or outright allergies, to food. Due to this, as a family, we have had to make adjustments and changes. One of the major allergies in my extended family is to Gluten. Instead of sobbing uncontrollably in a corner over the thought not eating fresh bread with butter, or sandwiches, my Bhabhi (sister-in-law) made adjustments to a vegan loaf recipe she found. She has perfected the loaf! Now keep in mind, because it does not contain gluten or any form of yeast, the bread comes out more like a cake loaf. Slice it thinly and you still reap the benefits of eating bread!!
An added bonus?!? Because the loaf uses wholesome ingredients, primarily Urad Dal, it will be high in protein and fibre! So many benefits for those trying to be a bit more health conscious!! Enjoy and a special thank you to Mimi Mirch! We love ya!
1 ½ cup White Urad Dal (split urad dal with the outer skin removed) – SOAK IN WATER OVERNIGHT!!
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp Honey (you may use agave nectar to make it vegan)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Quinoa Flour (you may substitute rice flour)
3 Tbsp Corn Starch
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 ½ Tsp Ground Flax Meal
½ Tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 395°F
- In a heavy duty blender pulse the dal.
- Lend the Dal to a smooth consistency (you may add a tiny bit of water to smooth it out if it seems clumpy)
- Add the vanilla extract, honey, and olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the Quinoa flour, corn starch, cinnamon, flax meal, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- In small batches add the dry ingredients to the blender and combine.
- You should get a smooth batter like consistency. Add a tiny bit of water if required.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment and spray all sides with oil to ensure the bread does not stick.
- Bake at 395°F uncovered for 10-15 minutes
- Cover the loaf with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes
- Reduce heat to 375°F and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes
- Take out of oven. TAP THE TOP OF THE LOAF. IF IT SOUND HOLLOW THEN IT IS DONE!
- Allow to completely cool.
- Enjoy! Or store in an air tight container for up to 7 days!!
This recipe may be a bit time consuming but your Mirchi life will thank you! After all Life’s a Mirch!!